Saturday 4 June 2016

May's Blog. Tour Series!

The month didn't start off that great with my body still feeling the affects of my illness in April. My first race of the month didn't go well in Scotland and it was a DNF. I knew I had to turn my form around so was started training hard and putting some big miles in to get ready for the end of the month. I was training twice a day including local evening races to help get back into some decent shape ready for the North East Regional Championships on the first weekend in June. I have won 2 local races after a decent training session on the morning. I've also been doing local time trials to see how well I'm coming on.
I raced Lincoln GP, it didn't go to plan as was to far back first time up micheal Gate and spent most of the race chasing on. Eventually I got back on and into the bunch before attacking with 4 laps to go. I got into a 7 man group and through we were riding for a top 20 but with been off and out of the back for so long I didn't know 30 plus riders were up the road. I finally finished 39th, not the result I was looking for but was a good hard 4 hours. I raced locally the day before and came 3rd in what was a hard 1 hour 15 minutes.
On to the Tour Series. The team were in for 4 rounds of the series. The rounds I did were Motherwell, Edinburgh and Durham.
Motherwell, didn't go well at all I started back row and couldn't move up and the elastic snapped after 15 minutes. This backed up the fact I'm not good at crits!
Edinburgh a course which suits me better as a road rider who likes grippy races. Unfortunately I started at the bad again and was held up a few time early on due to the bad conditions of heavy rain and cobbles. I managed to ride and pick people up lap by lap and finished 26th. this was my best ever tour series finish out of 5 round over 3 years.
Between the Scottish tour series rounds I had a free weekend with no racing so I did a big week of training. nearly 600 miles in 8 day to gain some condition back ready for the regional champs and a big month ahead in June with the nationals.
Durham another course that suits me, this time I was starting 3rd row. I was still badly place due to the pinch points on the laps. I managed to just keep riding and my own pace and ended up 22nd on the night I didn't sprint as thought I had another lap to go but still my best finish in a Tour Series round.
At the weekend will see me compete in the North East Road Race Champs where I'm defending champ.

No comments:

Post a Comment